[zeromq-dev] zmsg.hpp

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Wed May 4 17:32:28 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Ilja Golshtein <ilejncs at narod.ru> wrote:

> 0mq manual and API are pretty strict regarding strings:  0mq operates with messages, not strings,
> zmq_msg_data return type is void*, not char*.
>
> That's why there is no possible misunderstanding until zguide is read.

There's no possible misunderstanding until you actually try to send or
receive a string in C. I assume you've never done this. The C
programmer MUST decide how to map an ASCIIZ string to the 0MQ API. And
by experience, they'll make the wrong choice at first.

The Guide only answers this confusion. Yes, I could have used
something else than C, but that wasn't my choice.

There's no way to make a "hello world" example in C without
confronting this problem. And before it was covered in the guide, we
had frequent questions on this list from people who were unable to
send strings successfully between e.g. C and Python.