[zeromq-dev] Important: backward incompatible changes for 0MQ/3.0!

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Thu Mar 31 18:15:59 CEST 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:

> I would say the question is how can we improve reliability of 0mq (NB:
> not make it perfect, just improve it) without dragging all this madness in.

Experience of making reliability patterns for the Guide confirms that
it rapidly becomes madness.

There's a growing set of high-level patterns that work, though, and it
would maybe be worth looking at these to see what libzmq could do to
make it easier. Heartbeating, synchronous connects, more flexible
req/rep, perhaps. Some simple and widely-useful patterns, like Lazy
Pirate, could be directly implemented as socket options (that's a
pattern for REQ that allows it to retry).

Could make a useful topic of discussion for the 10th.