[zeromq-dev] Important: backward incompatible changes for 0MQ/3.0!

Martin Pales m.pales at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 08:44:59 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:

> 7. We should then find out whether it's possible to overload standard
> malloc/free in the library in such a way that our implementation is used
> instead of the implementation provided by C runtime.

On Solaris, I usually link my application with libumem due to its better
performance,
scalability and mainly debugging capabilities. That way all
new/delete (malloc/free)
calls are replaced by libumem's implementation.

This approach also works for tcmalloc, jemalloc, mtmalloc, etc.

Using LD_PRELOAD mechanism is also possible but IMHO it is mainly for
development to try and see or tests like this:
http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/multiproc/multiproc.html