[zeromq-dev] Important: backward incompatible changes for 0MQ/3.0!

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Fri Mar 25 07:29:58 CET 2011

On 25 March 2011 14:14, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:

> 5. The question to answer is: Do we want to patch 0MQ to compensate for
> buggy OSX? And do we at least understand the bugs so that we are sure
> they can't be worked around?

Both OSX and Windows have greying allocators as they're both 10 years old.
 As modern hardware is NUMA based all the vendors have been rewriting or
looking at providing alternative solutions as the older techniques prove
quite inefficient on NUMA.

So far on Linux glibc is pretty awesome and has proven to be the fastest
allocator for PGM skbuffs.  On Windows all the regular allocators are weak
but Microsoft provides a new NUMA aware allocator with their new concurrency
runtime.  With OSX I was under the impression that 10.7 alongside moving
from GCC to clang/llvm was improving things a lot better.

If you want to investigate alternative allocators it would seem best to
follow Microsoft's suggestion and use templates to flip between them:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd998050.aspx

Using tcmalloc on Windows looks a PITA as the CRT has to be modified.

--
Steve-o