[zeromq-dev] OpenPGM build integration in the 2.1.3 release

Martin Lucina mato at kotelna.sk
Thu Mar 24 16:12:08 CET 2011

Hi Mikko,

mikko.koppanen at gmail.com said:
> sorry about this hassle, completely my fault not thinking about
> recursive make install installing openpgm artifacts as well. OpenPGM
> is still linked statically using libtool convenience archive, so that
> .so is not actually used by libzmq.so. There is a fix now for
> preventing automake from recursing into openpgm build dirs and this
> has been added to zeromq2-1 today.
>
> Let me know if something doesn't work as expected.

Two problems, as tested using the output of "make dist" on zeromq2-1.git
HEAD, just now:

1) The libpgm API symbols are visible as exports of libzmq.so. Their symbol
visibility should be set to "hidden", otherwise libzmq can't coexist with
an application using libpgm externally. AFAIR, the old OpenPGM build system
did this by building all of OpenPGM with -fvisibility=hidden.

2) When doing a ./configure --with-pgm, the --with-pgm gets passed from the
toplevel configure to the OpenPGM configure. This doesn't actually break
anything but results in scary messages from configure saying "WARNING:
unrecognised option --with-pgm". This will confuse a lot of people
(including me...).

Cheers,