[zeromq-dev] Important: backward incompatible changes for 0MQ/3.0!

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Tue Mar 22 22:52:47 CET 2011

On 03/22/2011 10:40 PM, Martin Lucina wrote:

>> 10. I would like to remove ZMQ_PAIR pattern altogether, however, Pieter
>> uses it in the guide, so he proposes to instead limit it to inproc
>> transport which is the only use case there. Please, if you are using
>> PAIR, whether over inproc or tcp or whatever, scream now!
>
> The alternative I presume is to fix PAIR sockets? I.e. implement
> auto-reconnect and all the other missing bits?

Well, if people do want PAIR to remain in the library, I'll leave it
there. I am not interested in fixing it myself though. Others are free
to patch it, of course.

> I would like to add at least one feature discussed before (AFAIK the IPython
> people are using this heavily and are emulating it with a hack, I've also
> done this for clients), namely to allow "bind to random port".
>
> This requires an API change (getting the resulting endpoint back from the
> bind call), I'm not yet sure what that API should look like but I'll make
> the note here and on the Wiki page so that we don't forget about it.

Ah. I forgot about that one. I am not sure about it though. How would it
work with non-TCP transports? Are we actually speaking of automatic
endpoint generation? If so, how can we avoid auto-assigned endpoints
clashing with user-defined endpoints etc. The whole thing seems rather
complex and messy.