[zeromq-dev] HTTP -> 0MQ XREQ proxy example.

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Sun Mar 20 16:22:28 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Marko Mikulicic
<marko.mikulicic at isti.cnr.it> wrote:

> So the focus is on using HTTP as a transport protocol, between zeromq peers,
> not intended to be used as an interoperability solution, did I understand
> correctly?

Yes to the first part, but for me that precisely means
"interoperability", if the mapping is documented and reliable.

> I suppose that the advantages of having a HTTP transport would be at least:

Yes to all those.

> Are there other reasons to use HTTP as a transport for 0mq?

it's the fastest way (in terms of implementation cost) to get secure
access to a 0MQ network for clients which are outside the firewall. It
doesn't even have to be expensive in transport terms, since e.g. high
volume data transfer can be done using HTTP streaming.

It would be neat to see 0MQ run safely over TLS/SSL, but in reality
port 80 is always going to be easier to deploy.