[zeromq-dev] [0MQ/3.0] discuss: rename XREP to ROUTER

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Sat Mar 19 09:14:41 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:

> Thus, if we add a following line to zmq.h:
> #define ZMQ_ROUTER ZMQ_XREP
> we can achieve 3 goals in parallel...

Note that the original problem, and why I invented the "ROUTER"
nomenclature, was a pure *documentation* issue, similar to the now
solved issue of UPSTREAM/DOWNSTREAM.

The problem affects XREP and XREQ, and the names proposed (and
accepted by most) are ROUTER and DEALER. To make this work properly
means fixing the man pages, and the Guide, as well.

This seems an obvious step towards making 0MQ easier to use, and
really should not be mixed into a discussion about the way people use
these sockets. The names are just better documentation.

Martin, I am making this change for 2.1, because there was consensus
on the change, and the old names are simply too painful to keep using.
If you like I'll provide you a patch for it. I've not renamed the
source files, but presumably that would be better.

Obviously the old names can continue to exist, but introducing the
change earlier will make life easier for everyone, and make 2.1 apps
more forwards compatible.

This also moves people onto using a ROUTER/DEALER concept, and frees
you to make XREP/XREQ layered concepts that use another
implementation, if you ever find how.