[zeromq-dev] [ZeroMQ] Advises using 0MQ

Eloi Du Bois eloi.du.bois at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 11:52:24 CET 2011

Hi all,

I would like to have good advises on 0MQ use.
My problem is that I would like to make a software that is quite the same as
Google Documents, but which can work offline...
I have no idea on the best way to do that, but I think that by using ZeroMQ,
I am on the good way.

The different needs are:
1 - Real time synchronism between all clients (when somebody write
something, every clients gets modifications at the same time on the
document).
2 - Dealing with general network failure (when the network connection is
broken, when the reconnection occurs, clients must be synchronized again).
3 - Dealing with partial network failure (when a client has a connection
failure, but other client still synchronized, the broken client must be
synchronized again at the reconnection).
4 - Holding hundred users at the same time.
5 - High reliability (no slow down, document desynchronism, etc...).

I have no idea of what is the best architecture...
I thought of this distributed architecture:
Everybody is a client receiving message from each others.
In detail, in those clients, there can be (or not) a database specialized
client that should actually be used to store/backup the received documents
changes (and manage with documents versions).

Before I start something, I would appreciate any recommendation (at any
detail level).
Note that I have never used 0MQ.

Thank you in advance,
Eloi du Bois.