[zeromq-dev] PGM Difference between 2.0.10 and 2.1.1

Andreas Kelle-Emden kelle-emden at vr.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Mar 4 09:37:52 CET 2011

Am 04.03.2011 09:18, schrieb Steven McCoy:
> The Linux loopback adapter doesn't support multicast, although on
> platforms like Solaris it does.  The changes were to reduce the
> collisions and problems occurring by selecting the loopback adapter
> instead of a real interface.  Note that you are still going to have an
> issue with the default setting of most Linux boxes on DHCP, namely
> defaulting to the address 127.0.1.1 as the node address.
>
> Alternative is to pick a normal interface and enable multicast loop,
> however be warned that this breaks reliability as most IP stacks do not
> support multiplexing of unicast packets, i.e. NAK requests cannot be
> received.
>
> Recommended solution for production is to add a IPC or ITC transport to
> the zeromq socket.

It's just a test for PGM/EPGM, not actual production code. I was testing
it on 127.0.0.1 first, tests on more machines will follow.

I am running on a Linux machine and multicast was working before. (At
least, all messages were received by all running receivers.)

--
Dipl.-Inform. Andreas Kelle-Emden

Virtual Reality Group, RWTH Aachen University
Lehrstuhl für Informatik 12 (Hochleistungsrechnen)

  Rechen- und Kommunikationszentrum
  Seffenter Weg 23, 52074 Aachen
  Tel. +49 241 80-24866
  Email kelle-emden at vr.rwth-aachen.de