[zeromq-dev] Rename inproc transport?

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Thu Mar 3 02:59:04 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 2:42 AM, Chuck Remes <cremes.devlist at mac.com> wrote:

> For the first time I did some experiments with the inproc transport. My experiences lead me to suggest that we should rename inproc (for "inprocess" or inter-thread) to "incontext".

Yes, inproc:// is unclear.

If you take the long view, it should be 'kernel'. Contexts will
eventually disappear, as 0MQ becomes an OS module. Maybe rename the
context object to 'kernel' in 3.0 so that it's even more explicit.

Otherwise, itc://, inter-thread communications, ignoring the need for
these threads to share the same context.