[zeromq-dev] ZMQ_HWM not working

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue Mar 1 12:47:17 CET 2011

Hi Jogeshwar,

The HWM is not a reliable mechanism to deliver messages one by one.
All it does is limit the buffer at consumer and/or sender. Your
assumption that HWM means "give me one message at a time" is
incorrect, and 0MQ has never worked like that. HWM means "store at
most one message on my incoming/outgoing buffer". But messages can
also be queued in network buffers.

Since you're sending quite large messages (10K), it's possible that
this *just* worked in 2.0.10 and that in 2.1.1 the default network
buffer size has changed. However, to repeat, HWM is not a precise
mechanism, and you should not use it for message-based flow control.

If you really want to deliver messages one at a time, you need to talk
back from your consumers to your producers via some sockets.

-Pieter