[zeromq-dev] Persistent queues

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Tue Jun 28 23:08:48 CEST 2011

On 06/28/2011 11:02 PM, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Mike Owens<mikeowens at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> So are you saying you are getting rid of durability AND identity, or just
>> durability?
>
> Martin can answer better than me, my observation is that explicit
> identities is useful, whereas durability is not, and as you've said,
> these two are tied together.

The problem is that explicit identities are messy.

And when I'm saying messy, I don't mean some kind of minor mess, rather
a mess that pops up almost everytime I try to add a new feature a turns
it into a hopelessly complex endeavour.

I've promised to leave the explicit identities in for 3.0 and so I did.
However, in the long run we have to choose between freezing 0MQ
development more or less at the current extent of functionality or
getting rid of explicit identities :(