[zeromq-dev] Windows throughput perfomance. Once again.

malist i mailing.list at manageapp.com
Tue Jun 28 21:31:16 CEST 2011

Hello.

I have used Apache APR (http://apr.apache.org/) based code for my rpc application. In my tests I found that connecting to Windows 7 or XP server performance was much worse than connecting to Mac OSX server.

Finally I found this tech note "Slow performance occurs when you copy data to a TCP server by using a Windows Sockets API program" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823764.

I got a huge increase of performance (2.4 seconds to 0.4 seconds) after setting TcpDelAckTicks registry value to the machine that does "apr_socket_accept()" -call in the server code. Client just sends request and waits for response in loop. There was no change in performance.

My code sends lots of small messages (140 bytes) and occasionally bigger packets (10k - 1mb).

Pasi Mankinen
Manage Applications
Finland