[zeromq-dev] Problem with multiple sockets under Windows: Address already in use

Seref Arikan serefarikan at kurumsalteknoloji.com
Tue Jun 21 12:40:48 CEST 2011

It looks as if it is not only about the number of sockets open at a
time, but also about the closing of sockets. If I run the example loop
with 100 iterations, it works, but if I repeat the 100 iterations loop
a few times, it crashes. I found out that I have to wait for some
time, before the code can work again. So Windows does not only seem to
limit the number of sockets, but it also appears to not to make them
available as soon as the socket is closed. I could introduce an upper
limit for open sockets in my code, or increase the upper limit using
Windows' configuration, but as long as a socket that is closed does
not become available instantly, this would be a serious issue.
Should  this also be considered a Windows issue? (slowly
released/freed sockets)

Ps: I've tested it again, if I wait for a minute or two, the 100
iteration loop works, then fills up whatever mechanism Windows is
using, and I've to wait again...