[zeromq-dev] Extending the Paranoid Pirate Pattern - a problem and a candidate solution

Lucas Hope lucas.r.hope at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 04:01:20 CEST 2011

Hi Martin,

AFAIU, what you need is req/rep sockets to drop requests from clients that
> no longer exist, right?

Yes, and almost. The set up I have works for req/rep, but the main usage is
as a dealer communicating batches of jobs from a database, but formatting
the message stack to be compatible with req/rep.

> See also here: https://zeromq.jira.com/browse/LIBZMQ-190

The above is very related. But really what would be useful is a socket
option which, when enabled, drops requests from an inactive socket, but
defaults to the current behaviour so existing functionality won't be broken.
I personally don't think assumptions should be made according to the socket
type, and I could probably contrive some RPC examples where lazy clients
send a request but disconnect because they don't care about a response. I
know that PUSH is better for that sort of model, but you can't expect to
always control your clients.

Peace, and thanks.

-Luke
Dr Lucas Hope - lucas.r.hope at skype
Machine Learning and Software Engineering Consultant
Melbourne, Australia