[zeromq-dev] Reactive proactor zmq_engine_t?

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Sat Jun 11 21:02:56 CEST 2011

Hi Steven,

> I'm looking at Windows named pipe support with IOCP and have most
> implemented but it appears it would be better to investigate turning
> around core component before bolting things above.
>
> The current /zmq_engine_t /implementation is as a reactor, an incoming
> event will retrieve a buffer then populate it with data from the
> underlying socket, similarly outgoing events get the data and advance.
>   A reactive proactor would turn things around to prepare for a full
> proactor model and will presumably add some overhead which
> the quantification of would be interesting.

There is couple of issues to take into account:

1. The buffer is finite (8kB by default). We need some pushback
mechanism to prevent IOCP throwing more data on us than we are able to
process. Presumably by issuing new read operation only after all the old
data was processed.

2. The current design is based on the idea that new data is not read
from the underlying socket while there are still data in the buffer to
process. This allows the kernel to batch as much data as possible and
thus get the best possible performance.