[zeromq-dev] kqueue & epoll based zmq_poll

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Fri Jun 10 17:33:56 CEST 2011

Hi folks,

>>> For zmq_poll(), only select/poll based polling is available.
>>
>> Are there any plans to implement the advanced polling mechanisms
>> into zmq_poll where available? Not that I suffer from any
>> performance problem in zmq_poll right now, just asking ;)
>
> I'm not aware of any plans by the core devs to add this. If you feel
> like taking a poke at it, I'm certain there are a few people on the
> list (and irc) who could give you advice and answer questions.

Just a comment: The performance gain with epoll et al. is tied to
different API (only the file descriptors that are actually changed are
passed to and from the API). Thus implementing old-style API like
zmq_poll() on top of epoll doesn't make much sense.

To get the real performance gain we would need something like
zmq_epoll() or zmq_kqueue().