[zeromq-dev] Blocking on multiple outputs

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Thu Jun 2 08:17:48 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:

> Alternatively, the "message" can be broken into a sequence of smaller
> messages. In such case there's a new messaging pattern needed to describe
> this kind of behaviour.

Oh, certainly, you'd never deliver a video as one message, but as a
stream of frames, each one message. The problem isn't the size of the
individual replies, it's the asymmetry between requests and replies
(i.e. one request, many replies), and the need to avoid memory
exhaustion at the sender. (Dropping frames isn't an option, really,
unless it's exceptional to the point of "your flow control is broken,
abandon request").

Perhaps this is a new pattern, yes. Possibly in the way we once had a
stream pattern in AMQP.