[zeromq-dev] Question: release policies and v3.x

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 06:52:40 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A question to the list about release policies[1] and the 3.x development.
>
> Background: we are removing ZMQ_IDENTITY from the product, it's a
> necessary step to continuing to improve the product. (Incidentally, if
> you are using ZMQ_IDENTITY, let us know your use case).

We use ZMQ_IDENTITY extensively to route to specific hosts.  We also
do this in a chained, multihop manner as well.  We have a massive,
complex architecture that uses it in multiple contexts.  Here is a web
page that documents (with nice diagrams!) our zmq socket architecture:

http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/development/parallel_connections.html

In general anywhere you see an XREP/XREQ pair, we are using ZMQ_IDENTITY.

> The current release policies require that we start a 4.0 branch to
> make this change, since it would break compatibility with 3.0
> applications.
>
> Does people (and especially binding authors) prefer:
>
> (a) starting a 4.0 version for this work (which means that 3.x will
> stop when 3.0.x is mature)
> (b) doing this work in 3.1, and changing the release policies to allow this.

I am not sure it really matters too much for us.  What matters more is
that the replacement for ZMQ_IDENTITY is at least as capable.

Cheers,

Brian