[zeromq-dev] Question: release policies and v3.x

Marcus Cavanaugh marcus at gameclosure.com
Mon Jul 18 20:32:16 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com> wrote:

> we are removing ZMQ_IDENTITY from the product, it's a
> necessary step to continuing to improve the product. (Incidentally, if
> you are using ZMQ_IDENTITY, let us know your use case).

Our use case for ZMQ_IDENTITY is this: We have a few stateful backend
services that need to communicate with other servers. We need to direct
requests to specific services, so round-robin balancing doesn't work. (We
can't easily make those services stateless.) We use router sockets for that.

I'm not sure that there's an easy way to do that without ZMQ_IDENTITY.
Whenever we need messages to go to a specific machine, round-robin load
balancing doesn't do what we need.

In an ideal world, everything would be stateless, but sometimes we really do
need to be able to address specific nodes.

That said, if there's a way to do this without ZMQ_IDENTITY, I'd love to
hear about it.

Marcus