[zeromq-dev] Question: release policies and v3.x

Chuck Remes cremes.devlist at mac.com
Mon Jul 18 15:17:39 CEST 2011

On Jul 18, 2011, at 7:26 AM, Pieter Hintjens wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A question to the list about release policies[1] and the 3.x development.
>
> Background: we are removing ZMQ_IDENTITY from the product, it's a
> necessary step to continuing to improve the product. (Incidentally, if
> you are using ZMQ_IDENTITY, let us know your use case).
>
> The current release policies require that we start a 4.0 branch to
> make this change, since it would break compatibility with 3.0
> applications.
>
> Does people (and especially binding authors) prefer:
>
> (a) starting a 4.0 version for this work (which means that 3.x will
> stop when 3.0.x is mature)
> (b) doing this work in 3.1, and changing the release policies to allow this.

For my binding it doesn't make much difference if I am enabling/disabling functionality for 3.0 & 4.0 or 3.0 & 3.1. The logic is equivalent and only the numbers will change.

I have been watching the list for people to describe their use-cases for ZMQ_IDENTITY and I can't recall anyone really coming forward. Is there a valid use-case? If not, I don't see the point in even keeping ZMQ_IDENTITY for 3.0 (other than the fact it has already been released *with* ZMQ_IDENTITY intact so according to the rules we are now stuck with it).

cr