[zeromq-dev] IPv6 support (was Re: Leaving my role as maintainer)

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Tue Jul 12 19:33:30 CEST 2011

On 12 July 2011 09:32, Martin Lucina <mato at kotelna.sk> wrote:

> 4) For PGM endpoints, I don't know. To be discussed with Steve.

The entire dual-stack problem can often be handed off to the OS, when using
a hostname with multiple addresses the name service API can decide on
preference of protocol and is often configurable, see gai.conf for further
details.

http://linux.die.net/man/5/gai.conf

PGM with a back-channel tends to be fixed on the protocol although I guess
you could broadcast out the return path using an IPv4-in-IPv6 address and
have IPv4 receivers extract the IPv4 address and use that.

Ultimately with OpenPGM it comes down to the chosen form of the network
parameter.  If the network name resolves to more than one interface with no
available priority to distinguish between them then an error will be raised.
 As network adapter names are unique to each platform it is not often
practical to use them, hence network IP addresses or network names are
provided as alternatives.  This is why OpenPGM provides a portable IPv6
compatible network name resolution API, including on Windows.

--
STeve-o