[zeromq-dev] Leaving my role as maintainer

Martin Lucina mato at kotelna.sk
Tue Jul 12 15:03:47 CEST 2011

ph at imatix.com said:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Martin Lucina <mato at kotelna.sk> wrote:
>
> > Not sure what you mean by "update". As it stands that packaging is
> > maintained externally as part of the official Debian package.
> >
> > What would need to be done is replace the current stuff in Git with the
> > official packaging, but modified slightly to be usable for a "build me a
> > snapshot package of this particular Git checkout" type workflow. Is that
> > what you want? Will anyone actually use this?
>
> I guess the larger question is where will the Debian packaging be
> maintained. If it's not in the 0MQ distribution, that directory should
> be deleted. Otherwise, it should be reflect the current (real) Debian
> packaging, just so that future contributors know where to find it.
>
> > Then there's the option of actually distributing DEBs from zeromq.org, but
> > I don't really want to get into that ...
>
> No-one wants that IMO. People have used the debian packaging to make
> debs for private distribution, e.g. for networks where software may
> only be installed as debs.

In that case let's delete it. Anyone who is going to be building custom
DEBs for internal use already knows to get the source package using either
apt-get source zeromq, or downloading it manually from packages.debian.org.

Martin, Pieter, can you please delete the debian/ directory from the
various Git repos? No point submitting a patch for this...

Cheers,

-mato