[zeromq-dev] Safe receiver termination without loss of messages.

Victor Vlasenko vlasenko at sysgears.com
Mon Jan 31 09:21:42 CET 2011

Hi All,

Currently zeromq 2.1.0 has the feature to safely terminate the sender
with flushing all the messages to the network. But if you terminate the
receiver messages that are buffered on receiver end will be lost.

IMHO it would be handy to have the same feature to safely terminate the
receiver, i.e. upon termination all ZMQ sockets that recv messages
should get all the buffered messages before termination, no messages
should be lost.

At present to achieve such a behavior one should implement
handshake/acknowledgment protocol. I think it would be great if ZeroMQ
took care of safe receiver termination. What do you think?

Victor

P.S. I think my previous post on this topic was unclear, thats why I
decided to rewrite it more cleanly