[zeromq-dev] ZMQ_HWM doesn't work?

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Mon Jan 17 14:56:45 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Pavel Gushcha <pavimus at gmail.com> wrote:
>>Likewise it's generally a bad idea to reduce the TCP buffering to try
>>to control flow.
>
> Fully agree this. I only want to say, if socket is binded/connected to
> many peers, we must remember, that socket buffers may contain
> relatively big amount of data. In my case i don't want to reduce tcp
> buffers, i want to put between producers and consumers something like
> zmq_forwarder device. this will reduce total amount of connections
> from 16*16 to 16+16.

Yes, in general when you interconnect many consumers to many producers
(where 'many' is very relative and applies more strongly to producers
than consumers), devices in the middle will simplify the network and
reduce the number of connections and endpoints to manage.  This is one
of the main reasons for using devices.