[zeromq-dev] [ANN] ZeroMQ UML

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Sat Jan 15 18:38:12 CET 2011

Thijs,

> I've created a new UML Class Diagram based on the latest ZeroMQ code,
> mainly to help myself understand the ZeroMQ internals and hunt down
> some bugs. It's perhaps useful for other ZeroMQ hackers as well:
> https://github.com/thijsterlouw/zeromq2-uml
>
> I plan to improve the Class Diagram and add a Sequence diagram for
> some important Use Cases (such as connecting) soon. If you have any
> other tips, please let me know. I tried automatic reverse engineering
> tools, but found them severely lacking. So I've decided to do
> everything manually (with a little help of my IDE).

That's a great effort. I've started writing a document about 0MQ's
internal architecture some time ago, but I haven't got too far with it:

http://www.zeromq.org/whitepapers:architecture

It would be great if the effort like yours would lead to clearly defined
internal interfaces in 0MQ. Some of the interfaces may be a bit specific
and subject to change, however, other would be extremely useful to have
rigorously defined. Say clear interface for underlying transports
(tcp/ipc/pgm etc.) would allow for writing new transports without having
to understand the whole 0MQ codebase.