[zeromq-dev] zmq_term() blocks in 2.1

David Kantowitz dkantowitz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 01:26:01 CET 2011

Hello,

In v2.1 zmq_term() will block if there are any open sockets -- in previous
versions of ZMQ zmq_term() was non-blocking.

For my application this causes problems, so I've changed my copy of
ctx::terminate() to be non-blocking.  I issue all the stop() calls and
return EAGAIN if there are sockets other then the logging socket open.

However I didn't see an obvious way to extend the ZMQ API (ex, context level
option) to support both behaviors so there isn't much point in submitting my
change ... it would be wrong for the people who want a blocking zmq_term().

I do think it is worth having non-blocking support.  Since an API change or
addition seems necessary, perhaps it would be good to add this before 2.1 is
finalized.

How are issues like best captured?  Should I submit a bug report somewhere?

Regards,
David K