[zeromq-dev] is this a linux bug?

Andrew Hume andrew at research.att.com
Mon Jan 10 17:23:53 CET 2011

one of the things i like about zeromq is that you don't
have to be fussy about the order of starting things up.
for example,

proc a:
	sock = zmq_socket(ctxt, ZMQ_PUB)
	zmq_bind(sock, "tcp://*.34567")

and proc b:
	sock = zmq_socket(ctxt, ZMQ_SUB)
	zmq_connect(sock, "tcp://myhost.34567")

works just fine, no matter the order they start in.
(they're both running on the same host.)

however, if proc a dies, and we start another one,
it can't, becaus ethe bind fails because of "Address already in use".
(i observe that if we have run proc b on another host,
we never get this error.)

is this a zmq issue, or yet another case where linux is screwing us?

Andrew Hume  (best -> Telework) +1 623-551-2845
andrew at research.att.com  (Work) +1 none currently
AT&T Labs - Research; member of USENIX and LOPSA