[zeromq-dev] source material for TIBCO to ØMQ migration

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Tue Jan 4 01:49:15 CET 2011

On 4 January 2011 04:41, Scott <alcoholiday at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has there been much historical discussion about UNRELIABLE multicast
> PUB/SUB? We certainly have applications that just use OSC/UDP
> multicast, since it's better for the application to get the latest
> data if it didn't get a previous message; but I'd rather migrate
> everything to zmq!

Some brief discussion, basically on a switched network you always need some
re-ordering and you can get a basic re-ordering transport with PGM with a
very small window size.

PGM allows a lot of different architectures, such as disabling the
back-channel, using Forward-Error-Correction, local network repairers, and
even congestion control.

The only two alternatives to look at really are UDT for high speed high
latency unicast links for when TCP congestion control is too harsh, and the
recent UDPCP in Linux for very low overhead rather synchronous messaging.

http://lwn.net/Articles/421435/

--
Steve-o