[zeromq-dev] durable subscirbers and inproc

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Wed Feb 23 18:31:41 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Chuck Remes <cremes.devlist at mac.com> wrote:

> If you really need reliable delivery of each published message, then the Pub/Sub pattern is not appropriate. You should use the REQ/REP pattern because you'll need to acknowledge each message.

Even that won't guarantee delivery :-) What if your acknowledgment gets lost?

Plus it adds extraordinary latency to traffic. Depending on your
application, you would want some kind of asynchronous negative
acknowledgment, i.e. "I'm missing data X, please (re)send". Possibly
out of band so the normal pubsub traffic can scale to many clients
over multicast.

It gets complex. We're looking at this in Ch4 but really it's a
project by itself.