[zeromq-dev] Publish/collect pattern

Garrett Smith g at rre.tt
Wed Feb 23 10:41:06 CET 2011

In The Guide, under Node Coordination, there's an example of using a
PUB/SUB channel for messages to a set of workers and REQ/REP channel
for replies by the workers back to the coordinator.

It seems the workers could also use PUSH/PULL to send messages back to
the coordinator.

I'm looking to do something similar and I'm not sure whether to use
REQ/REP or PUSH/PULL for the "upstream" response. Specifically, I want
to "query" a set of workers for some information using PUB/SUB.

Other than the explicit reply from the coordinator in REQ/REP (which I
believe would just serve as an unneeded ack in my scenario), what are
the considerations for using either of these approaches for the
response?

Garrett