[zeromq-dev] [0MQ/3.0] discuss: rename XREP to ROUTER

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Mon Feb 14 12:09:49 CET 2011

Hi all,

There is enormous confusion among new users about how to use the
advanced socket types, and specifically XREP. Here is a (not unusual)
question from IRC today:

"I need to implement a push-pull with a custom loadbalancing strategy,
what would be the recommend method? adjust the source and create a new
socket type? implement it using PAIR's?"

It shows just how hard it is for new users to grasp these concepts,
and the XREP/XREQ socket type names are IMO seriously to blame.

I'd like to make it absolutely unambiguous that to do custom routing,
one uses the socket type we call XREP, and achieve this by renaming
that socket type to ROUTER. Thus one connects a ROUTER socket to other
socket types, and the ROUTER socket does routing of messages according
to an envelope that the application prepares.

For symmetry I'd also suggest renaming XREQ but don't have a better
name than the one already suggested in Ch3 of the Guide, namely
DEALER.

My suggestion would be to introduce ROUTER/DEALER as aliases in the
next minor release of 0MQ, and to make these the official names in
3.0. REQ/REP can stay as they are, they are clear enough.

Comments, objections?

--
Pieter Hintjens
iMatix