[zeromq-dev] FOSDEM talk on 0MQ - video & slides

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Sun Feb 6 18:40:13 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Andrew Hume <andrew at research.att.com> wrote:

> interesting, but unpersuasive, talk.

Persuasion takes a bit more than 10 minutes :-)  What I've learned
from doing loads of 5/10 minute talks on complex topics is that if you
can make people remember just one thing, you've done well. Annoying
them is often a good way.

> (pieter do you ever swing by the usa? or can we video conference somehow?)

Always open to a Skype call. Travel is possible but depends where,
when, and whether there is business at the other end.

With 0MQ we face a number of fairly classic barriers, mainly IMO that
to understand the possibilities of the approach you have to use it for
a while. No-one, IME, has ever understood 0MQ until they used it.

What this means, I think, is that persuasion has to be two-fold. For
the most competent users (such as the folk on this list), the pure
possibilities that a new, better way of working can give are enough
reason to explore. Pioneers always explore, it's how they keep their
edge. And then there's the mass market, which follows, and is
persuaded purely because others tell them "the water's safe".

We're still talking to pioneers, and will be for a while.