[zeromq-dev] weirdness

Marko Mikulicic marko.mikulicic at isti.cnr.it
Wed Feb 2 13:47:11 CET 2011

On 2 February 2011 13:25, Chuck Remes <cremes.devlist at mac.com> wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2011, at 3:33 AM, Andrew Hume wrote:
>
> > i don't have permissions to tcpdump.
> > i'm running 2.0.9
>
> Unless you are running your application on ports less than 1025, I don't
> think you need elevated privileges to attach to the ports with tcpdump. You
> should be able to run it as a regular user and see the data. I think you
> only need root when you need to put the interface into promiscuous mode.
>
> I'm not 100% sure of this, so perhaps you could try?

Unfortunately libpcap needs access to the raw devicem and thus requires root
privileges. There are userspace sniffing tools that rely on tcp proxies.
I read about exploiting http://www.inlab.de/balance.html proxy to capture
and dump traffic.

Alternatively you could attach your process with 'strace'.

Cheers,
Marko