[zeromq-dev] 0mq conference idea, Feb 2012, Portland, Oregon?

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Wed Aug 31 10:03:53 CEST 2011

Hi Michel,

Great idea, count me in, I should be somewhere near by in February.
Bay Area, or perhaps Dallas.

We've experimented with a number of formats. The formal conference
model is a lot of work, in finding speakers and organization, and not
really suitable for a community.

For the last Brussels event we did an unconference, which worked
nicely. Basically, people queue requests to talk, and each person gets
to talk, with slides if they have to, without if possible.

It worked well to have a time-keeper (Mikko, in Brussels) brutal
enough to say, "you're getting boring, please end it now". Some people
enjoy talking too much. :-)

If you allow people to present randomly, you should get a nice mix of
improv and lecture. So there's really no need to over-structure the
day.

If you expect people to come from further afield, organize a dinner
the evening before, breakfast on the day, and drinks on the evening
after.

Also,

 - It's good to have drinks and snacks near by so if the speaker isn't
interesting, people leave.
 - Keep the room light so people don't fall asleep.
 - Get someone to take photos, we always forget this.
 - Don't try to video stream or IRC it, that is pretty pointless.
 - People can record their thoughts via a wiki page, but there's no
point in detailed reporting.

And finally,

 - Do use the zeromq.org events wiki for this, e.g.
http://www.zeromq.org/event:brussels-2011-05-10

-Pieter