[zeromq-dev] ZMQ 3, multicasting and subscription forwarding

Emmanuel TAUREL taurel at esrf.fr
Wed Aug 31 08:56:35 CEST 2011

Hello all,

I have a question about ZMQ-3, subscription forwarding and multicasting.
Using ZMQ-3, with subscription forwarding, in a PUB-SUB framework,
subscription filtering is done on the publisher side.
I understand  this when using unicast network transport.
However, if the transport is a multicasting protocol (epgm), I don't
really understand how the filtering could be done by the publisher.
In such a case, all subscribers and the publisher belong to the same
multicast group. How is it possible to send a message to only some members
of the same multicast group?
Do I miss something somewhere?

Thank's for your answers

Emmanuel Taurel