[zeromq-dev] 0mq conference idea, Feb 2012, Portland, Oregon?

Andrew Hume andrew at research.att.com
Wed Aug 31 03:52:25 CEST 2011

michel,

	i am based in phoenix, but it is possible i might make
to portland. i'm not a "rock star" in the 0mq, but am developing
a large application based on it. i am a reasonably
accomplished speaker (especially in the USENIX world).

	andrew

On Aug 30, 2011, at 7:15 PM, Michel Pelletier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For the past year my employer and I have been using 0mq more and more,
> and a few months ago here in Portland we had a 0mq meetup, where quite
> a few more people showed up than I expected (about 20 or so).  Based
> on that, and the need to contribute something back to the community,
> meet with cool people, and drink beer, we are kicking around the idea
> of having a 0mq "conference" here at our new, spacious office location
> in Portland, Oregon, USA, sometime in February of 2012.
>
> This email to kick off a discussion on this admittedly bold idea and
> see if it is interesting to enough people to pursue.  The last meetup
> here was very spur of the moment, so I expect we could potentially
> double the attendance just with local folks.  Throw in people who can
> come down from Seattle, and possible up from the San Francisco Bay
> area, I expect we could have 50-75 people attend.  This is a totally
> optimistic guess.
>
> In addition to attendees, of course, there will need to be speakers.
> While I have some material to present, as does one of my coworkers,
> two presenters does not a conference make, so others would need to
> step up in order to make this happen.  Some commercial support to at
> least help offset the expense of stuff like snacks, a keg of beer, etc
> would be ideal.  Sponsors would get plenty of good vibrations and face
> time with attendees.  This would be particularly good for any
> companies looking for 0mq developers to hire.
>
> Ideally, if we could get one or two core developers to provide some
> advanced material, that would wonderful!  Depending on sponsorship
> interest hopefully there might even be enough funds to assist getting
> one or two "rock stars" to travel here.  No promises, but that would
> be awesome!
>
> So, if you are a potential attendee, speaker, or sponsor (or all 3!)
> please contact me *privately* off-list so that I can gauge the
> interest.  If you want to discuss the content, timing, location, or
> concept in general, then let's keep the discussion on list.  Again,
> please don't post "I want to go!" messages to the list, just send
> those to me privately.  Please only use this thread in the list if you
> want to discuss the concept itself.  Some open questions:
>
> Where?  The space we are offering is one block from the train to the
> airport, 3 blocks from the train to Seattle, and smack downtown
> within grazing range of hundreds of Portland's famous food carts.
>
> How many people?  I not entirely certain how many people the "big
> space" can hold, but we think, comfortably, we can max out at 60-75.
>
> When should it be?  Feb is far off enough to get some good planning
> done and get the low travel prices.  It's also the rainy season, so no
> one will be tempted to hang around on our porch getting a sun tan.
>
> How long would it be?  I was thinking 2 days, preferably over a
> [...]

Andrew Hume  (best -> Telework) +1 623-551-2845
andrew at research.att.com  (Work) +1 973-236-2014
AT&T Labs - Research; member of USENIX and LOPSA