[zeromq-dev] 0mq conference idea, Feb 2012, Portland, Oregon?

Michel Pelletier pelletier.michel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 01:15:32 CEST 2011

Hello,

For the past year my employer and I have been using 0mq more and more,
and a few months ago here in Portland we had a 0mq meetup, where quite
a few more people showed up than I expected (about 20 or so).  Based
on that, and the need to contribute something back to the community,
meet with cool people, and drink beer, we are kicking around the idea
of having a 0mq "conference" here at our new, spacious office location
in Portland, Oregon, USA, sometime in February of 2012.

This email to kick off a discussion on this admittedly bold idea and
see if it is interesting to enough people to pursue.  The last meetup
here was very spur of the moment, so I expect we could potentially
double the attendance just with local folks.  Throw in people who can
come down from Seattle, and possible up from the San Francisco Bay
area, I expect we could have 50-75 people attend.  This is a totally
optimistic guess.

In addition to attendees, of course, there will need to be speakers.
While I have some material to present, as does one of my coworkers,
two presenters does not a conference make, so others would need to
step up in order to make this happen.  Some commercial support to at
least help offset the expense of stuff like snacks, a keg of beer, etc
would be ideal.  Sponsors would get plenty of good vibrations and face
time with attendees.  This would be particularly good for any
companies looking for 0mq developers to hire.

Ideally, if we could get one or two core developers to provide some
advanced material, that would wonderful!  Depending on sponsorship
interest hopefully there might even be enough funds to assist getting
one or two "rock stars" to travel here.  No promises, but that would
be awesome!

So, if you are a potential attendee, speaker, or sponsor (or all 3!)
please contact me *privately* off-list so that I can gauge the
interest.  If you want to discuss the content, timing, location, or
concept in general, then let's keep the discussion on list.  Again,
please don't post "I want to go!" messages to the list, just send
those to me privately.  Please only use this thread in the list if you
want to discuss the concept itself.  Some open questions:

Where?  The space we are offering is one block from the train to the
airport, 3 blocks from the train to Seattle, and smack downtown
within grazing range of hundreds of Portland's famous food carts.

How many people?  I not entirely certain how many people the "big
space" can hold, but we think, comfortably, we can max out at 60-75.

When should it be?  Feb is far off enough to get some good planning
done and get the low travel prices.  It's also the rainy season, so no
one will be tempted to hang around on our porch getting a sun tan.

How long would it be?  I was thinking 2 days, preferably over a
weekend.  This would be best for my employer since during the week we
are trying to use the space to get work stuff done.

Would it be single track, or multi-track?  Single focus would be nice
because everyone can see all the material and also, we only have the
one big space, although there are some small private side spaces that
can be used for sprinting/pairing should the urge strike you.

What's the format?  I personally prefer longer talks where lots of
good juicy information can be conveyed, mixed in with some fun
lightning talks and quick improvs.  Tutorials?  Hack challenges?

So, let the discussion begin, and let 2012 be the year 0mq takes over
the world!

-Michel