[zeromq-dev] Federated Binary Star Pattern

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue Aug 30 15:43:40 CEST 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Richard Smith
<rsmith at rsbatechnology.co.uk> wrote:

> A typical failover use case for my Clients is a two-stage approach: Fast
> failover to secondary server in same data centre as primary, and then a
> failover to a Disaster Recovery site.  Let's say the requirements to use
> Binary Star architecture as described in the Guide could be applied to the
> primary->secondary (assume can share same physical switch etc) case, how
> does the idea of federation help in the "two islands" use case (e.g between
> primary and DR data centres, or between geographically distant servers)?  I
> take it that "federation" in this context was meant as simulation of client
> by a worker in the other "island"?

In your case you might use bstar between primary/backup servers in
each of the data centers, and you'd need a separate switch to divert
traffic to one or other of these. Federation is not relevant here,
that would be if you have two active servers e.g. in primary and
secondary location, each with a set of local clients.