[zeromq-dev] 2.1.8?

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Mon Aug 29 17:13:19 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> wrote:

> Further thought: it could just as well not be called -rc1, but just
> publishing a candidate tarball on the mailing list only. E.g. in
> Apache projects so-called "release artefacts" are always published to
> a developer mailing list, tested (with a required number of sign-offs
> from contributors), and only then published. If you really want to
> take QA seriously, that might not be such a bad idea. (I'd also
> suggest something of a release schedule, even if it's just a schedule
> where the stable branch release manager considers if there are enough
> fixes on the branch to justify a release.)

I'm not sure schedules are useful since we are always on a curve (more
releases when a branch is immature, fewer as it matures). But in
general we release when there've been a reasonable number of fixes and
changes.

We've tried limited releases before, e.g. tagging on the repository,
but in fact close to no-one tests them. Experience tells us that
people only test official releases and for the most part, stable
releases only. You can see, e.g. how few issues we have on 3.0.0.