[zeromq-dev] 2.1.8?

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Mon Aug 29 14:11:02 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 14:08, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> wrote:
> That seems fine with me. Perhaps it would be useful to publish actual
> RC's for a few days before an actual release? E.g. something called
> 2.1.9-rc1, leave it out there for two or three days, then publish
> 2.1.9. Perhaps that would draw just the right amount of testing out of
> the woodwork that you won't have to unpublish actual releases.

Further thought: it could just as well not be called -rc1, but just
publishing a candidate tarball on the mailing list only. E.g. in
Apache projects so-called "release artefacts" are always published to
a developer mailing list, tested (with a required number of sign-offs
from contributors), and only then published. If you really want to
take QA seriously, that might not be such a bad idea. (I'd also
suggest something of a release schedule, even if it's just a schedule
where the stable branch release manager considers if there are enough
fixes on the branch to justify a release.)

Cheers,

Dirkjan