[zeromq-dev] Context ioThreads

Ian Barber ian.barber at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 08:13:55 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 7:09 AM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:

> On 08/24/2011 08:01 AM, Steven McCoy wrote:
>
> > Doesn't sound useful on 10GigE adapters though.
>
> More interesting metric would be I/O threads per open TCP connections.
>
> However, I guess the number is going to vary significantly. The only
> useful rule of thumb is "at most N I/O threads where N is number of CPU
> cores on the box".
>
> Martin

True and true. In general, could we say:

1. Most people will not need to modify the number of IO threads
2. At most there should be N I/O threads where N is the number of CPU cores
on teh box
3. If you are managing a large (> ?) number of connections or amount of
traffic ( > 1gb/s) then it may be worth experimenting with more than 1 IO
thread.

Is there anything PGM specific we should add?

Ian