[zeromq-dev] recovering from an unanswered reply

Mathijs Kwik bluescreen303 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 12:44:35 CEST 2011

Hi all,

If process1 uses a REQ socket to send a message to process2, but
process2 dies before replying, process1 gets stuck, waiting for an
answer to arrive forever. Using identity doesn't help, since the
message was already delivered.
The socket doesn't allow sending new requests until the previous one
gets answered.

Do I need to create some kind of timeout mechanism to close/recreate/
reconnect the socket if no response is received in time? And store the
message temporarily, so I can resend it on timeout.

Or is there a better/built-in way to handle this?

Thanks,
Mathijs