[zeromq-dev] Strange problem with lua-zmq on Windows

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Wed Aug 10 23:59:40 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:28 PM, Ross Andrews <ross.andrews at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So technically this is accurate under one condition: each thread must
>> do a full memory barrier as it switches sockets between threads.
>
> Full memory barrier? I'm not sure what that means.

Indeed, it's not a well-known technique.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_barrier gives more details. IMO
this lies well outside the scope of any "normal" use of the library,
it's a technique that language binding authors may use, but not
ordinary 0MQ developers. I'd *never* use this in my code.

Thus, the advice is to not share sockets between threads.