[zeromq-dev] process control revisited

Paul Colomiets paul at colomiets.name
Sun Aug 7 17:48:20 CEST 2011

Hi Andrew,

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 10:09 PM, Andrew Hume <andrew at research.att.com> wrote:
> each server is now a black box. all data flow into a server goes through
> one of 2-3 portal processes (think 0MQ device), and there is a global config
> specifying how to map the key field for each of these data flow types into
> a server. thus, any process needing to send a datum d with key k, can simply
> look up how to map k into a sever name and the port number for the
> portal for d on that server.

As a conincidence we have migrated to roughly similar setup a week ago.
It really simplifies configuration a lot. We use two ports for different
patterns (req/rep and push/pull), and that's pretty much all the
network configuration. All the unix sockets are created automatically.
Althrought I should mention that we have more traffic going from frontend
servers directly into backend servers, and only percent of it (more
complex interactions between components) going throught the devices.

To have this work we had to push destination address to the XREQ
socket before the data. It smells a bit like a hack, but works good
for us.

I also think we all could benefit if similar device would be publicly
available. We have prototyped one in python. If it's configuration and
routing concepts will sustain some time, we will probably rewrite
it in C and publish as open-source project.

--
Paul