[zeromq-dev] [request] IPC on windows

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Sun Aug 7 12:11:57 CEST 2011

On 08/06/2011 10:59 AM, Steven McCoy wrote:

>     I am not entirely sure what you have in mind: Is it adjusting all
>     the other polling mechanism wrappers (select_t, poll_t, epoll_t...)
>     to IOCP-like model or other way round, wrapping IOCP in such a way
>     that it's similar to existing wrappers?
>

> Making a new alternative base, that for Windows uses completion events
> instead of ready events. /in_event/ becomes /in_completion_event/,
> similarly /out_event/ becomes /out_completion_event/.
>
> Ultimately you can build either version or maybe have both available.
>   The problem is that the events are similar and not exactly the same.

The problem is that if you have two different interfaces, you need to
have two different versions of the code that uses it (transport engines
etc.)

I would say we have to come with a single generic abstraction (either
POSIX-like or IOCP-like or even something completely different) too keep
the codebase maintainable.