[zeromq-dev] .NET port

Fil Mackay fil at pobox.com
Sat Aug 6 05:52:58 CEST 2011

Hi Martin,

> > Hi all, has anyone considered doing a C++/CLI (.NET) port of ZeroMQ;
> > rather than a binding?
>
> I am not aware of that. You are free to try.
>
> However, the libzmq functionality is quite complex and requires lot of
> work to reimplement. Thus, the actual ports so far (javascript etc.)
> choose to implement a "client" library:

Yes, I have been putting this off for quite a while :)

To be clear this is what I am looking at:

- Full C++/CLI port (not bind)
- Client and server functionality
- No synchronous API's - just Task/IObservable from .NET 4.0
- Lots of Rx (Reactive Extensions) and Async CTP
- Managed IO completion ports
- IPC (shared mem?), TCP and UDP

This would mean the API would be quite different, and shaped around
async/non-blocking .

Now, is this really stupid? Should I be porting the above to native Windows
C/C++ for performance, then binding into the .NET world?

Dumb question: is the core of zmq C or C++? I am thinking these are
fundamental changes from the way the core library works, so I can't just
wrap this in....

Regards, Fil.