[zeromq-dev] ZeroMQ on AIX

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Sat Aug 6 00:05:01 CEST 2011

Hi Gonzalo,

> 1. Anybody has experience with 0MQ on AIX? Any hints, pointers or caveats? I
> am assuming 0MQ has been ported to AIX, to begin with!!!

Yes, it's been ported, a few times. The last port was about a year ago
iirc, so there will be new code that needs fixing up. That should be
quite straight-forward (it's typically down to non-portable header
files, some system calls)..

> 2. The requirements are very simple and the model looks sound, but I just
> wanted to run it by the list. Any thoughts?

It looks OK but a full analysis would take more time than I have now.

Stick to 2.1.7, see: http://www.zeromq.org/topics:planning

> 4. I will need to generate UUIDs in the client program. This is not very
> portable and is rather a pain in the ass (never done it before on AIX). Does
> 0MQ export its UUID generation function? It would come in really handy…

It's uuid_create() on AIX, I think. If we want to wrap this portably,
perhaps in libzfl or some other C library around libzmq.