[zeromq-dev] ZeroMQ on AIX

gonzalo diethelm gdiethelm at dcv.cl
Fri Aug 5 21:28:33 CEST 2011

I will use 0MQ for a very simple couple of applications programmed in C that will run on an AIX 6.1 server, using a Pub/Sub pair of sockets. Basically, I will have a daemon process with a Sub socket, listening for notifications. Then, from the client application (which could be running in more than one instance) I will prepare data files and send a notification on a Pub socket, to be picked up by the daemon. The daemon will also use an inproc socket to listen for ticks, generated from a separate thread within the daemon, with the goal of being clever in case any notifications coming from the client(s) are lost; the ticks would trigger a "check if there are any pending files to be processed". The processing of each file is rather simple.

Questions:

1. Anybody has experience with 0MQ on AIX? Any hints, pointers or caveats? I am assuming 0MQ has been ported to AIX, to begin with!!!

2. The requirements are very simple and the model looks sound, but I just wanted to run it by the list. Any thoughts? In particular, I would like to set an HWM on the daemon's  incoming Sub socket to a high value, in the hopes that I will not miss any notifications from the client(s). What is a good number for this high value? What impact does that number have on resource usage on the daemon?

3. What version of the 0MQ library should I use? I would rather stick to the latest, which I understand is 3.x, but I am not sure if there are any instabilities that could impact this (admittedly simple) use case.

4. I will need to generate UUIDs in the client program. This is not very portable and is rather a pain in the ass (never done it before on AIX). Does 0MQ export its UUID generation function? It would come in really handy...

Thanks everyone and best regards.

--
Gonzalo Diethelm